Nature Discovery Kits
Hands-on activities to help kids discover nature
Choose from 3 Nature Discovery Kits
The Friends of Tettegouche has partnered with Tettegouche State Park to offer three different types of discovery kits for children to use as part of their classroom or homeschool studies. They are intended for use by children, ages five to eight years old, with teacher or parental supervision. The discovery kits include books, guides and hands-on activities to help the students discover nature in the schoolyard, backyard, or a natural area near them. They are perfect for a field trip to Tettegouche State Park! Click the title for details on what’s included in each kit.
The discovery kits are available for check-out from the Silver Bay Public Library. Check Library hours here.
Can you help us create more?
The funds for the kits came from donations to the Friends of Tettegouche State Park. Your generous donation will help to maintain these kits and help us to create more.
This discovery kit focuses on the wildflowers and plants around us that bloom in the spring, summer, and fall. With the help of pollinators, their flowering may produce berries, nuts, and seeds.
- Berries, Nuts, and Seeds (Take-Along Guide) by Diane Burns
- Flower Families: A Go Fish Game by Christine
Berries (52 cards and 1 manual in 1 box)
- Flowers Are Calling by Rita Gray
- Minnesota Trees & Wildflowers Pocket Naturalist Guide
- The Reason for a Flower by Ruth Heller
- Trees, Leaves, and Bark (Take-Along Guide) by Diane Burns
- Wildflower Bingo Game (40 flower cards, 308 play tabs, 6 game cards in 1 box)
- Wildflowers, Blooms, and Blossoms (Take-Along Guide) by Diane L. Burns
This discovery kit is designed for children to learn about animals that might be living in their backyard or local natural area. Most of the time we only know about these animals through their tracks and other signs they leave behind.
- Animal Tracks: A Folding Pocket Guide to the Tracks & Signs of Familiar North American Species (Wildlife and Nature Identification) by James Kavanagh
- Hero Arts Ink and Stamps, Animal Prints (18 woodblock stamps and ink pad in plastic box)
- Minnesota Wildlife Pocket Naturalist Guide (part of Pocket Naturalist Guide Set)
- Tracks, Scat, and Signs (Take-Along Guide) by Leslie Dendy
- Wild Tracks! A Guide to Nature’s Footprints by Jim Arnosky
- The Young Scientists Club Animal Tracks Game by Horizon Group USA (80 cards in 1 box)
This discovery kit for children is designed to be an introduction to learning how to identify birds whether by sight, calls or other signs.
- All About Backyard Birds: Eastern and Central North America (Cornell Lab Publishing Group, 2017) Use the B QR app to scan for bird songs and calls.
- Bird Bingo Board Game (42 bird cards, 212 play tabs, 6 game cards in 1 box)
- Birds, Nests, and Eggs (Take-Along Guide)
- Feathers: Not Just for Flying by Melissa Stewart
- The Kids’ Guide to Birds of Minnesota: Fun Facts, Activities and 85 Cool Birds (Birding Children’s Books) by Stan Tekiela
- On Bird Hill by Jane Yolen
- Minnesota Birds: Pocket Naturalist Guide (part of Pocket Naturalist Guide set)
- Ruby’s Birds by Mya Thompson
Have you recently used one of our nature discovery kits?
We’d love to get your feedback. Please fill in the survey to help us improve the kits. Thank you!